THE PERFECT POTLUCK DISH FITS CERTAIN GUIDELINES:
1) It travels well. If it won’t make it through an hour on the passenger seat of your car while you swerve through summer traffic, it doesn’t make the cut.
2) It can be stored and served at room temperature. Heating it up when you get to the party is too much of an imposition on your host. And, refrigerator space is limited and, frankly, better used for beer.
3) It doesn’t take long to make. You have a party to get to.
2. Blueberry Pie Bars
All the deliciousness of a pie without the fuss of crimping a crust. Recipe here.
3. Caprese Chopped Salad
Lettuce salads can be a mess to toss when you’re making a big one for a large group of people. Also, they wilt when they sit out for too long. Caprese stays fresh for hours, and the vinaigrette and basil continue to flavor the tomatoes as it sits. Recipe here.
4. German Potato Salad
Minimal ingredients, minimal prep work, maximum bacon flavor. Recipe here.
5. Asian Watermelon Salad
Really, this one is all about throwing delicious things into a bowl in vague quantities and ending up with a pile of deliciousness, no matter what. Recipe here.
8. Salted Dulce De Leche Bars
Because summer dessert doesn’t have to be all pie, all the time. Recipe here.
9. Antipasto Skewers
Recipe here (but really, you can skewer whatever you want.)
11. Cookies ‘n Cream Sheet Cake
Super easy, and it travels well. Recipe here.
12. Vegan Green Goddess Dressing with Grilled Veggie Kebabs
These taste great at room temperature, and they’re a side dish that vegans and carnivores will love. Recipe here.
13. Chili-Garlic Roasted Potatoes with Fresh Herbs
I understand that roasted potatoes don’t scream “summer” but really, does anything pair better with grilled steak? Roast ‘em the night before and refrigerate, but make sure they have enough time to come to room temperature before serving. Recipe here.
14. Salty and Malty Brown Butter Treats
No one will call you immature for bringing rice krispie treats to a party if they’re laced with brown butter and studded with malted milk balls. Recipe here.
15. Watermelon, Feta, and Mint Skewers
Simple can taste really great if you know what you’re doing. Recipe here.
20. Mojito Fruit Salad
Not all fruit salads are 90% cantaloupe. Recipe here.
21. Greek Tortellini Salad
Remember tortellini salad!?!?!? Why did everyone stop eating tortellini salad? Recipe here.
23. Hogs in a Blanket
Make classic pigs in a blanket a little bit more high-brow by using andouille sausage. Don’t worry, it’s not actually any more difficult, and there are still only five ingredients. Recipe here.
25. Cherry Tomato and Asparagus Salad
26. Kale and Corn Salad with Miso Tahini Dressing
27. Ginger and Vanilla Peach Upside Down Cake
Don’t flip it out of the pan until dessert is served, and you won’t have to worry about anything getting smushed or falling out of place. Recipe here.